Sunday, February 7, 2010

Some intriguing experiments have shown that humans have no 'conscious will.' If true, would it bother you?

In VERY simplistic terms, it turns out that the sensation of deciding to act occurs after the brain has initiated action. This phenomenon can be measured and the experiment duplicated. If you're interested, look up 'Benjamin Libet' on Wikipedia; there's a great description of his work there.Some intriguing experiments have shown that humans have no 'conscious will.' If true, would it bother you?
I guess it would be ok if the ';subconscious will'; is really more true anyway to who you are as a person. I'm assuming it is subconscious will, and not random chance, on what the brain decides to do???





3/4: To clarify (as I think I am answering the question) -- My SUBconscious will, or my UNconscious will, is still ME. (Probably more ';me'; than my conscious will is.) My subconscious (';me';) creates the urge. My conscious (';social me';) either allows or supresses the action.





I still see that as free will. It is not YOUR subconscious or my neighbor's subconscious that is creating the urge. It's mine, me. Then, social/conscious me can allow or stop the action. I think this is a very good way for FREE WILL to operate.





Therefore, it doesn't bother me. Now, if I had to work on deciding what to do with all of YOUR urges, that would be scary! :)Some intriguing experiments have shown that humans have no 'conscious will.' If true, would it bother you?
Free will vs. determinism--few questions have been as fiercely debated. The consensus seems to favor a limited free will.
I believe that those who want to believe that we are biologically determined at every level is an overly reductionist interpretation of free 'will'


I think like anything - it is a complex relationship between physiological answers and conscious choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment