Friday, February 5, 2010

My son is doing a chemistry experiment for school on will vinegar eat out the inside of a newer penny. True?

i thought that straight vinegar did this, but as of yet, it hasn't. I added baking soda to it and that just foamed up as I expected.My son is doing a chemistry experiment for school on will vinegar eat out the inside of a newer penny. True?
it will be slow, acetic acid is a weak acid. adding baking soda neutralizes the acid as baking soda is a base.My son is doing a chemistry experiment for school on will vinegar eat out the inside of a newer penny. True?
why not just follow through with the experiment .. Or try Coke
No but vinegar will dissolve an eggs shell or make a chickens bone go all bendy. Good idea though!
You neutralized the acid with the baking soda.


Tell you what, as it IS an experiment, why not try to actually EXPERIMENT?


Do it and see what happens instead of trying to get your answers here...
Yes ive seen it done, all that is left is the copper on the outside.
ALL I KNOW IS IT WILL TURN THE PENNY GREEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment